Regional Head of Regulatory Affairs
Consultant Faisal Saqallah
Date posted 22 November 2022bahrain banking-financial-services/compliance 2022-11-23 2023-01-21 financial-services Manama BH Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.ae https://www.robertwalters.ae/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
A leading Financial Services firm based in Bahrain is looking for a Regional Head of Regulatory Affiairs & Data Protection.
The role will be responsible for managing the firm's engagement with policymakers and other stakeholders across the Middle East region. The Middle East is an important area for the firm, with successful local consumer and corporate businesses, hence, working and engaging with, local institutions (e.g., CBB, CBUAE, all other Central Banks or equivalent institutions) to develop the regional Regulatory Affairs function. In addition, the role will also be responsible for the oversight of the firm's data privacy program.
- Support the firm's business leaders and country managers’ engagement with policymakers and other key stakeholders in the region.
- Develop policy positions on key issues and make them relevant, persuasive, and compelling to internal and external stakeholders by conducting research, preparing communication materials, etc.
- Deliver external communications with clear, well-articulated and concise language, and deliver complex messages in a clear and succinct manner (both in writing and orally) in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Build relationships with local policymakers, including with the administration and with the policy and strategy teams within the regulators and other regulatory bodies.
- Build relationships with key third parties in the region who influence the policymaking process, including consumer groups, merchant groups and other players in the payments and financial regulation arena.
- Monitor regulatory developments in the regional and global landscape related to payments, consumer protection, Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) and other emerging areas on interest, which may impact the firm's business. Advise management and business heads on the key emerging themes and any actions to be taken to promote/ safeguard the firm's interests.
- Coordinate with management, legal, PR/Comms and AXP Government Affairs & GCO.
Guide the business and oversee an enterprise-wide coverage of the privacy discipline in the firm, in line with applicable laws and regulations
- Monitor the regulatory landscape on data protection emerging in the firm's markets, including participation in the related consultative process where possible.
- Advise the business and provide guidance on data privacy related matters e.g. review of relevant procedures, agreements from a data privacy perspective
- Ensure processes exist for reporting of appropriate KRIs pertaining to data privacy by concerned stakeholders.
- Participate in development of appropriate response to any data security breaches/ other potentially damaging events involving loss of personal data in coordination with other stakeholders e.g. including the General Counsel, the Chief Information Security Officer and the Chief Digital Officer.
- Provide periodic updates to the firm's senior management and relevant governance committees regarding the state of data privacy in the firm's, including any upcoming changes to privacy related laws and regulations as well as the impact thereof.
Engage with AXP subject matter experts on data privacy on continuing basis and discuss matters warranting attention with concerned the firm's stakeholders in order to promote alignment of the firm's privacy standards with applicable regulatory expectations.
UNIQUE KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Around 5+ years’ experience in regulatory affairs and data privacy in the Middle East and/or other leading regulatory jurisdictions, ideally with experience of working in one of the main national institutions.
- Experience of financial regulations, especially related to payments, data privacy, ESG and other emerging areas of interest for regulators.
- Excellent communication skills (especially demonstrable fluency in English – both oral and writing, knowledge of Arabic would be an added advantage).
- Ability to communicate complex matters in an easy-to-understand, clear, succinct and positive manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Track record of running effective advocacy campaigns to deliver changes in policy.
- Must have a degree. A degree in law or political science will be preferred. Regulatory certifications/ privacy-related certifications would be an added advantage.
PROBLEM-SOLVING & DECISION MAKING
- Excellent presentation skills.
Ability to manage and lead customer centricity by putting the customer at the center of everything you do and being able to create meaningful experiences that build lasting relationships.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate strong attributes to demonstrate the following
- Enhance and grow the CX Culture at the firm by giving priority to CX goals, business objectives and actions.
- Applying customer centricity rather than product centric thinking.
- Ability to demonstrate key qualities for Customer-Centric leadership by building robust CX strategy that support the business objectives, thinking CX initiatives across all business areas, innovating CX solutions and establishing synergies between internal and external CX experiences.